Dr. Denny Kolkebeck, D.P.T., O.C.S., C.M.T.P.T., K.T.C., C.S.C.S.:
Denny has been a “physical adventurer,” climbing, tumbling & training since conception. He is passionate about maximizing people’s health, empowering clients to perform better, & reach their God-given potential to excel in the game of life!
Dr. Kolkebeck has been both an orthopedic sports-medicine physical therapist & strength & conditioning coach for 20 years & wears both roles on his sleeve. He teaches numerous seminars and workshops to colleagues and healthcare professionals focusing on the fascial and musculoskeletal link from the toes to the trunk, multi-plane movements, soft tissue mobilization tools, kinesiology taping & The Five Core Competencies.
He works with athletes ranging from marathon runners to triathletes; power-lifters to Olympic weightlifters; cyclists to swimmers; football players to wrestlers; obstacle course racers to America's elite. He enjoys collaborating with coaches and athletes at every level and loves learning something new.
- enacting “up-stream solutions” vs. down-stream remedies is a no-brainer
- food is medicine, & medicine is a side-effect waiting to happen
- athletes need to possess & work-on athleticism and movement potential
- young student-athletes need more fundamental & functional work & less bench-pressing, back-squatting & gimmicks
- in doing the right thing, for the right reasons, right now
- in the power of exercise, laughter & prayer
He applies these beliefs by:
- promoting nutritional strategies supported by blood work
- taking both a holistic & individualized approach with his athletes
- building & promoting a culture at MURC of “mens sana in corpore sano”- a sound mind in a sound body
- practicing what he preaches
While encouraging balance & moderation in life, Denny rarely experiences it himself. He enjoys participating in obstacle course races, scuba diving and barefoot running. He is married to a teacher who constantly corrects his grammar and has two wonderful children who will grow up to be smarter, stronger and wiser than him (not too hard to accomplish).
Denny is available for consultations and treatment for any tweaked or painful conditions needing a little physical therapy. He's also available for individual or team coaching; workshops or presentations.
I firmly believe that any man’s finest hour is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle, Victorious. -Vince Lombardi
- Enhancement of athleticism through technical mastery of speed, power, and agility in addition to customary “Feet on Ground” Strength and Condition strategies.
- Olympic Weightlifting for competition and athletic performance
- Improvement of balance, coordination, and stabilization
- Overall advancing of Health and Wellness
Education and Certifications
- Masters of Science Education: Exercise Physiology, Sports Biomechanics
- Bachelor of Science: Exercise Physiology, Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist
- USA Weightlifting Club Coach
- Aurora University Intercollegiate Athletics
- Provide speed, strength, conditioning, and injury prevention instruction to six-time Conference Champion Women’s Soccer Team
- Serve as Strength and Conditioning Technical Advisor to Football, Men’s and Women’s Track and Field, Baseball, Women’s Basketball
- Northern Illinois University Intercollegiate athletics Strength and Conditioning
- Present athletic teams including Football, Women’s Soccer, Wrestling, Track and Field, Golf, and Tennis with strength and conditioning coaching and mentorship.
- Enhanced strength and conditioning of injured athletes by providing alternative strategies to training during rehabilitation to prevent “Down Time”
- Velocity Sports Performance
- Trained athletes ranging from youth amateur to professional levels in speed, power, and agility
- Maintained a 6:1 student to coach ratio to ensure individualized training attention resulting in reduced injuries and improved performance
- Northern Illinois University and Aurora University Classroom Setting
- Facilitate the development of student knowledge creating a solid base in the areas of anatomy and physiology, human biology, educational foundations, principles of personal health, wellness, and nutrition, and philosophy of Exercise Science.
- Assessed human force production and muscular power output using electromyography, force plate, KINCOM dynamometer, and high speed cinematography
- Oversaw undergraduate research projects investigating force production changes due to alterations in jumping technique
Todd Henson, CPT
Todd believes fitness has a profound impact on all other aspects of life. If we are physically strong, we are healthy and competent. With health and competence, we are able to see measurable progress and gain confidence in ourselves. In this age of over-scheduled lives, exercise is a much needed stress reliever. Coaching enables him to connect with clients in a personal way and to become invested in them and their aspirations.
Inspiring people to choose a life of continual improvement, through sustainable fitness and nutrition practices. To be sustainable, fitness must be simple, safe, and fun.
Working with athletes to help them prepare for the rigors of practice and competition, so they can avoid injury and achieve their sport-specific goals. As a coach, there is nothing more gratifying than watching the joy of an athlete who is reaching new heights.
An avid endurance athlete, Todd has completed many races, including four marathons and two obstacle course challenges. But his interests go beyond running. He also enjoys strength training, with a preference for body weight workouts that typically include some form of hanging, climbing, jumping, and being upside-down. To learn more about his approach to sustainable fitness please follow him on Facebook at toddfit7: https://www.facebook.com/ToddFit7
Jack grew up playing multiple sports and has always had a passion for health and movement. He views fitness and physical health as the foundation to a good life, and believes that everyone should have some level of bodily awareness.
The lessons we learn, and the things we achieve, from striving in fitness translate to all areas of our lives and allow us to be stronger, more resilient, and happier individuals.
Jack loves any opportunity to teach others, and to learn from them, and he has found coaching to be one of the best means of doing so.